- University of Massachusetts, Amherst 2016 – present
- Ph.D. Candidate in the Organismic and Evolutionary Biology graduate program.
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo 2013 – 2016
- M.S. With Distinction, Academic Excellence in Biological Sciences
- 2016-2017 Outstanding Thesis Award: Circadian and circatidal rhythms of protein abundance in the intertidal mussel Mytilus californianus
- Bowdoin College 2007 – 2011
- B.A. in Biology and Environmental Studies
- Organization for Tropical Studies, Costa Rica in Spring 2010
- Hampshire Bird Club (Education Committee)
- UMass Graduate Bird Club (VP)
- Graduates for Anti-Racism in STEM
- American Ornithological Society
- International Ornithologists’ Union
- Wilson Ornithological Society
- Association of Field Ornithologists
- Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology
GRANTS, AWARDS, AND FELLOWSHIPS
- Graduate Student Summer Fellowship ($8,600)
- 2016 – 2017 Outstanding Thesis Award from Cal Poly Graduate Education
- Blodget Fund for Ornithological Research ($1,000)
- Organismic and Evolutionary Biology Research Grant ($1,000)
- Wilson Ornithological Society Research Grant ($1,500)
- OEB First-Year Non-Working Fellowship ($9,587)
- Myers Ocean Trust ($2,000)
- NSF Travel Grant ($1,175)
- Sigma Xi Grants-in-Aid of Research ($700)
- CSU COAST Graduate Research Award ($3,000)
- Aryan I. Roest Memorial Scholarship ($2,000)
- Cal Poly Non-Resident Graduate Tuition Waiver ($9,000)
- James S. Lentz Leadership Award
- Sarah and James Bowdoin Scholar
- Elowe, C.R., McGullam, S., and Maity, M., Spool, J. (2020). The Murmuration: Crowdsourcing Local Knowledge to Improve Birding Safety and Accessibility. Bird Observer 48, 8.
- DeSimone, J.G., Ramirez, M.G., Elowe, C.R., Griego, M.S., Breuner, C.W., and Gerson, A.R. (2020). Developing a Stopover-CORT hypothesis: Corticosterone predicts body composition and refueling rate in Gray Catbirds during migratory stopover. Hormones and Behavior 124, 104776.
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Elowe, C.R., Groom, D.J.E., Slezacek, J., and Gerson, A.R. (2020). Extreme long-duration wind tunnel flights demonstrate lean mass – not fat mass – may limit flight duration in migratory Blackpoll Warblers. NAOC 2020, virtual. Lightning Talk.
- Elowe, C.R. and Gerson, A.R. (2020). Flux Capacity: Seasonal changes in body composition and metabolism in migratory White-Throated Sparrows (Zonotrichia albicollis). SICB 2020, Austin, TX. Presentation.
- Elowe, C.R. and Gerson, A.R. (2019). Seasonal changes in body composition and metabolism in migratory White-Throated Sparrows (Zonotrichia albicollis). ICCPB 2019, Ottawa, ON, CA. Presentation.
- Elowe, C.R. and Gerson, A.R. (2018). Seasonal changes in body composition and metabolism in migratory White-Throated Sparrows (Zonotrichia albicollis). IOC 2018, Vancouver, BC, CA. Poster.
- Voisinet, M.P., Vasquez, M.C., Elowe, C.R., Crocker, D.E., Tomanek, L. (2017). Proteomic response of elephant seal pups, Mirounga angustirostris, to prolonged fasting. SICB 2017, New Orleans, LA. Poster.
- Elowe, C.R. and Tomanek, L. (2016). Circadian and circatidal rhythms of protein abundance in the California mussel (Mytilus californianus). SICB 2016, Portland, OR. Poster.
Elowe, C.R. and Tomanek, L. (2015). Circadian and circatidal rhythms of protein abundance in the California mussel (Mytilus californianus). Second International Conference on Oxidative Stress in Aquatic Ecosystems, La Paz, B.C.S., MX. Poster.
- Bio 111: General Biology lab (Cal Poly; Winter and Spring 2015)
- Bio 263: Ecology and Evolution lab (Cal Poly; Fall 2015 and Spring 2016)
- Bio 521: Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy lab (UMass; Fall 2017, 2 sections)
- Bio 153: Introductory Biology lab (UMass; Spring 2019, 2 sections)
- Bio 287: Ecology (UMass; Fall 2020)
- Bio 544L: Ornithology (UMass; Spring 2021)